The Day the Rains Fell

>> Sunday, September 27, 2009






I awoke early yesterday morning to pouring rain thinking it was just an ordinary rainy day here in Manila. I knew there was another typhoon but since we are hit by typhoons so often, did not think too much about it except a vague awareness that the rain did not seem to stop falling. DH was away on an out of town trip and so I made sure that the kids and I had some bonding time with a long awaited DVD marathon. :) Little did I know that all around the metro, the water levels were rising - at quite astonishing levels! Thankfully the power was up and I was able to keep in touch with the outside world and able find out what was happening outside. And OMG, what a disaster has been going on all around me. For the first time since 1967, my country has been hit by the worst flood since recent history. A whole month's worth of rainfall in just a span of 6 hours!!! A state of calamity has been declared in 26 provinces in Luzon, including Metro Manila. So much destruction, homes and lives lost. So many people still stuck and stranded on top of the roofs of their homes, on the 2nd floor of their homes, with no food, water and light.

Although Typhoon Ondoy has moved out, as I type this, the rains have begun to pour again and I fear for those people who have not yet been rescued. More rains mean that the water levels may not go down and only will rise again. For a country that is hit by typhoons year in and out, we are so ill-prepared for a calamity this widespread. People have been clamoring for help and to be rescued and in one badly hit area, only 2 rubber rafts were deployed - it is not enough.

WE NEED MORE HELP. MORE PEOPLE NEED TO BE RESCUED. TIME TO REBUILD WHAT IS LOST.

WE ASK FOR YOU TO HELP.

Only the photos and videos will help you understand how bad it is.














There is more, a quick google search of Typhoon Ondoy will bring you to countless pages about this. I appeal to all of you to help out. Donations can be made directly to the RED CROSS or through clicking on the paypal donate button, which will go to help all those who need help.


As of this time, my cousin is still stuck on the 2nd floor of a home with 4 other adults and one child. I have been exhausting all my contacts and calling, texting, emailing all possible numbers to let them know where they are so a rubber boat can be sent to them to rescue them. They have no food and water since yesterday. I do not think I will be able to get any sleep until they are safe. I pray they will be rescued soon.

Thank you to those who have helped me disseminate my SOS call for my cousin. Truly appreciate your help and concern.

Right now, I can't think of anything else to say....to preoccupied with worry about my cousin. But there is nothing more I can do but monitor my messages and wait. I may as well sort through my things and gather items to donate as so many people have lost EVERYTHING.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for visiting my blog and leaving your comments, it always excites me to open my mailbox and receive comments from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Picture

Picture

About This Blog

All about me, my musings, ramblings, fancies, quirks and dreams; the blessings in my life - the kids and their growing years; and my love for digital scrapbooking/design and graphic arts; and my eternal quest to keep learning something new each day and give back in my little way.

This blog used to be 3 blogs which I decided to merge together, my scrapping blog (Pandoras Box of Thought), the blog about my kids (Beyond the Four Walls) and my cooking/recipe blog (Cooking Mama) - all the old posts are still up but I've decided to just post everything in the future in one forum, with all the things I'm doing, I'd like to keep everything in one neat container :)


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP